There’s nothing better than a hearty bowl of beef stew, especially on a cold day. I love to slow cook beef stew all day long so my entire home contains the fresh aroma of slow cooked vegetables and stew meat. Adding everything to the slow cooker, this recipe couldn’t be any easier to cook or clean up! Unless you enjoy multiple servings in one day, everyone knows beef stew is better the next day, as the flavors have more time to meld together.
Buying pre-cut beef stew meat from my local market is what I’ve always used. You can always buy 1-2 pounds of chuck roast and cut the meat yourself in smaller or larger chunks of meat. The larger the meat cutting, the longer it will take to fully cook. The same goes for your vegetables, the larger you dice up your potatoes and carrots the longer it takes to cook, but the more robust your stew can taste.
I like to use Organic Beef Based Better than Bouillon, which doesn’t contain soy. Some of the Better than Bouillon products do contain soy, so it is wise to always check the ingredients, as companies are constantly changing them. You’re welcome to substitute 1-2 cups of water and beef stock instead. Add less liquid if you want more of a stew or more liquid if you want more of a beef soup. Many beef stew recipes include worcestershire sauce or wine. I’ve never added those ingredients to my beef stew, as I prefer the bouillon or stock combination with spices.
When the meat is tender enough to pierce using a fork and the potatoes have soften, you’ll know it’s ready to eat!
Do you like to add any special ingredients in your beef stew? I’d love to hear about it in the comment section below. If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars below.
Low Nickel Beef Stew
- 3-4 large russet potatoes
- 3-4 celery stocks
- 3-4 carrots
- ½ an onion or 2 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon Organic better than beef bouillon without soy
- 3-4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves remove them when serving
- ½ cup white flour
- 1-2 lb(s) of beef stew meat
- ½ teaspoon red pepper seeds
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Chop up the russet potatoes, celery, carrots, onion or shallots and garlic cloves. Place all the diced vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Season the veggies with the ½ teaspoon of black pepper, the 1 teaspoon of thyme and 2 bay leaves.
- Add the organic better than boullion and 3-4 cups of water.
- Combine the flour, red pepper seeds and other ½ teaspoon of black pepper on a large plate. Dredge the uncooked beef stew meat in the seasoned flour.
- Lastly place the drudged uncooked beef on top of the chopped veggies and cooking on low for 7-8 hours or high for 6 hours.
- Once the meet is fully cooked, serve yourself up a bowl of the hearty low nickel beef stew and enjoy!