When not at work, I primarily live in my kitchen and living room. Nickel is everywhere. Found in stainless steel to prevent corrosion and rust in common household items, like cookware and appliances. Visit any commercial kitchen or store selling cookware and you’ll be blinded by the amount of stainless steel shining back at you.
Continually exposing my body to nickel, both by contact and ingesting foods higher in nickel, ultimately resulted in my systemic nickel allergy. My entire body reacts internally and appears externally as severe eczema or atopic dermatitis.
Living low nickel by making conscious choices to reduce my exposure to nickel is my philosophy. I’m not a purist. There really isn’t any way to be nickel free, as our bodies still need some nickel to function properly. The key is to become aware of all the hidden places nickel exists in an effort to avoid it.